Job Title: Director or VP of Engineering
Location: San Diego, CA – Bay Park area
Position Type: Full-time
Experience Level: 15+ years of industry experience with MS, plus 7+ years of management experience.
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k, paid vacation, and a great team environment.
Lead a team of engineers and technicians dedicated to packaging and production of novel battery cells. Solve complex performance, design, and operational issues to improve manufacturing processes. Oversee mechanical design, improvement, production, and testing of product and processes and lead efforts to coordinate with suppliers for equipment and materials. This position will report directly to the CEO.
Become a critical member of our fast growing team working to develop a breakthrough battery technology to enable a greener future. In this position, you will be a key part of our core team, at the forefront of taking next-generation chemistries and packaging them into advanced battery cells.
We are looking for an experienced, creative, and hands on Director or VP of Engineering, with excellent team and project management skills to join our growing team in the Bay Park area of San Diego, CA. The position will require guidance and direction with regards to activities in the design, fabrication, and manufacturing of battery cells and manufacturing equipment. The candidate will potentially also interface with customers on their project requirements to integrate our technology into their manufacturing processes. The candidate will manage and help grow to a team of 8~10 engineers and technicians. This is a dynamic work environment with several parallel projects with various timelines.
An ideal candidate would ensure that their team has the information and tools needed to perform at their best. Team and project management skills are a must while also taking a hands-on lead on certain projects. Experience with coordinating and building working relationships with vendors and subcontractors highly desired.
Technical knowledge of design for high-pressure systems, hermetic sealing, laser welding and other weld techniques, o-ring sealing systems, metal forming/stamping, and plastic extrusion is required. Knowledge of battery cell assembly, manufacturing processes, gas flow systems, FEA analysis, LabView, data acquisition units, electrical systems and wiring, is also highly desired.
· Manage team and material resources in mechanical engineering, design, and manufacturing to meet project deadlines and budgets
· Check technical accuracy of work, oversee design and equipment related technical details
· Track manufacturing to ensure efficient use of resources and maximize yields
· Estimate future manufacturing requirements, production, and performance data
· Guide and motivate team by providing data-driven technical direction
· Contribute to technical writing of grants, patents, and reports
· Work independently and efficiently to reach goals within target timelines
· Deliver epic High Fives
· 15+ years of industry experience with 7+ years of management experience
· Demonstrated team and project management skills taking a technology from idea to product
· Ability to prioritize, multi-task, and succeed in an environment with competing demands
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Experience using SolidWorks CAD modeling and analysis software to create 3D models and 2D engineering drawings, including the ability to understand and apply GD&T methodology
· Demonstrated manufacturing experience is a must (machining, sheet metal, soldering, plating, welding techniques and materials such as plastics, metals, etc.)
· Demonstrated knowledge of DFM, GD&T, FEA, CAD, and drawing standards
· Understanding of mechanical engineering fundamentals: properties of materials, solid mechanics, design failure risk analysis, mechanical testing, and technical documentation
· Experience in bringing design ideas to concept prototyping
· An aptitude for learning new things and a keen eye for improving processes
· Ability to lift 35 lbs.
ABOUT SOUTH 8 TECHNOLOGIES
South 8 Technologies, Inc. is a fast growing and well-funded group backed by leading global organizations. We have developed a breakthrough new Liquefied Gas Electrolyte chemistry for next-generation lithium batteries. Our patented technology enables a substantial increase in energy, improved safety, and an exceptionally wide operating temperature. Leveraging conventional materials and manufacturing, South 8 Technologies offers a unique solution for a variety of e-mobility, energy storage, and industrial applications.
South 8 Technologies, Inc. was founded in 2015 and spun out of UC San Diego’s Jacobs School of Engineering. We are a diverse team, which values integrity and hard work in an environment that encourages creative thinking, collaboration, and honest feedback. Become a critical member of our team and grow alongside us as we transform the energy landscape.
Candidates may apply by sending resume to email@example.com.
Candidates only – we will not respond to inquiries from third-party recruiters.
South 8 Technologies is an equal opportunity employer.